Monday, September 10, 2007

What's the Dealio?

How come there's no TIFF film trailer this year?? Did they get tired of people cheering? I knew the program cover graphics were dull - but I figured they'd be able to squeeze something out of it.

Also - anybody see anything at the Cumberland? I think they've put in new digital projectors and the picture is amazing - incredibly crisp, even to the untrained eye. I noticed the quality of the picture right away. When I saw a movie at Scotiabank the next night I definitely noticed that the picture wasn't quite as good. Coincidentally, one of the pre-film ads at the Cumberland was for some brand of digital projector - this same ad was not played at the Scotiabank screening. I think I'm on to something here!

Lastly, the Cadillac "Be Original" ads are hilarious. What are some of the plot synopses you've seen so far? My fave is "in this movie we've got 2 cowboys, one horse"

3 comments:

kyle said...

I've only seen one film at the Cumberland, which did look pretty good but I assumed it was due to the film and not the projection. You must have a very good eye, fest director #3.
As for the trailers, the shorter the better, and I like the fact that the credits begin with a light-hearted Feist song instead of the usual Maria Callas-meets-Moby theme that introduces the concept of the Film Festival for those who are attending the Film Festival. My favourite of the Cadillac: "They fight. And dance. They dance, fight" (fists cross)

Unknown said...

Both Cumberland and Scotiabank have both regular and digital projectors. It just depends on the film showing. Look for the Christie Digital reel at the start of the film.

sarah said...

I am also very fond of the new Cadillac ads. I have seen three different ones but for the life of me I can only remember two (the cowboys with one horse and the two gangs who fight and dance). I am looking forward to seeing that third one again and remembering it....