Monday, September 10, 2007

BARCELONA (UNA MAPA) / BARCELONA (A MAP)

Another world premiere! A surprisingly packed house greeted us at the Scotiabank theatre as we arrived just in time for the flick.

Barcelona traces the lives of three characters as they intersect with an old couple hellbent on evicting them from the rooming house that they run. Unlike The Man from London, this movie is incredibly heavy on dialogue. It didn't surprise me to find out that this film was based on a play. Although the movie benefits from its ability to use flashback vignettes to illustrate whatever the characters happen to be talking about, this is basically a theatre production committed to film. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but I do question the choice of the original source material. I mean nothing really happens. Sure, we get to discover a few skeletons in the closet and we get to see some shots of the majestic city of Barcelona. But other than that, we invest a large chunk of time getting to know these characters and their dirty little secrets without the payoff of something actually happening. As I've said before, I'm not generally a fan of subtlety so the fault may lie with me and not with the movie - but I'd give this movie a pass. I mean surely you can take adultery, sexual deviance and cross-dressing and make SOMETHING memorable happen - can't you?

No comments: