Tuesday, September 11, 2007

LARS AND THE REAL GIRL

I've been lucky enough to have gone 2 years without seeing a movie at the Ryerson Theatre. That streak ended as I rounded 2 blocks just to find the end of the ticketholder line-up. Now I'm sure this happens at the other venues, but I've never witnessed so blatant an epidemic of people waiting to jump the line. I mean do you really think we don't know what you're doing as you walk up and down the line, talking on your cellphone only to suddenly find your friend as soon as the line starts moving?? Between the line jumpers and those saving whole rows of seats at a time, I'm surprised that Linda and I managed to scrounge-up two. Somebody at TIFF, please, STOP THE SEAT CARTELS!!!

Then, as I walk by the red carpet I discover that Ryan Gosling has usurped my "scraggly beard with puffy hair" look. Isn't it enough that he gets to sleep with Rachel McAdams? Can't he leave anything for the little people? Sheesh

OK - enough venting and on to the movie....

Lars & the Real Girl is the story of a small-town boy who falls in love with a sex doll.


Before you snicker or roll your eyes - I LOVED THIS MOVIE!! What could have easily devolved into Weekend at Bernie's meets The Notebook was instead a hilariously quirky film. Ryan Gosling's performance as Lars was exceptional, as was the rest of the cast. Gosling again harnesses his understated yet immensely powerful charisma he utilized to great effect in Half Nelson. The script was intelligent and touching. Sure, the doll gag got a tad tiring once or twice (a very minor quibble) but overall the story zipped right along and I was totally caught up in Lars' pediophiliac relationship (definition: somebody who is sexually attracted to dolls - not exactly applicable here but I just wanted to impress you with my medical/scientific vocabulary).

I would highly recommend this movie....especially to those who've enjoyed movies like Fargo and The Royal Tennenbaums. This is definitely a feel-good movie without the Disnefication (not a word - I know) the term usually entails.

I had never heard of director Craig Gillespie before this film. My crack research team informs me that's because his first two features were/will be released in 2007. His other film? The cinematic masterpiece Mr. Woodcock. This might qualify him for treatment for multiple personality disorder (just showing off that medical vocabulary again). He may also want to seek treatment for chronic hatism - he's worn a newsboy hat in every picture I've seen of him, his TIFF photo and his appearance last night. Hey Craig, bald is beautiful - set that cranium free!!

Lars & The Real Girl - my favourite film of the festival so far.

1 comment:

sarah said...

I am glad this was a good one. It was on my short list.

I will look forward to seeing it when it comes out.