Thursday, September 13, 2007

El Pasado (The Past)

The Past follows Rimini (Gael García Bernal), a man who cannot seem to get his life together after leaving his wife Sofia. He sets out to form relationships and make a new life for himself but the unfinished business he has with Sofia keeps taking over.

This felt very much like an Almodóvar movie to me - something I enjoyed. The characters were quirky and storylines did not all tie up neatly like they do in many conventional films. The acting was solid and I liked the pacing. I do recommend this movie.

There is one thing I found bothersome. There is a fair amount of sex in this movie - this is not what bothered me. Most of the women Rimini had relations with were fully naked. Some had a token piece of clothing on. Rimini remained fully dressed during all love scenes. All he did was unzip. It became very noticeable to me as the movie when on. Seemed very odd. Is GGB no longer okay with on-screen nudity?

GGB was present to introduce the movie. The director was on hand after the movie for a Q & A. I left after the first question of the Q & A. The question (The character in the film was a translator. How do you feel about movie translation?) was so lame that I figured nothing interesting was going to come from this audience. To be fair the director did handle the question well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I was at that screening too. I loved the film for the first half - great performances and some interesting insights into male/female approach to the end of a relationship - but then the implication that a whole gender is psycho...I have to object. It went from great to odd to insulting.

And I found the director irritating; wished Gael had come back.