Friday, September 10, 2004

When Will I Be Loved?

Honestly - I chose this movie before I knew it had 5 minutes of Neve Campbell in the nude. I can't really even say why I chose it, its not like Ive seen any of Toback's earlier works. I guess what it comes down to is that I was secretly hoping that Neve would come down off the stage and make love to me during the Q&A.

Unfortunately, that never happened.

And that's too bad because it would have made this film SLIGHTLY more tolerable.

In a nutshell, Neve's character either fucks or flirts with every single other character in the movie. As filler are a bunch of inane conversations - most of which I couldn't understand because the sound was so bad.

And apparently this film was made in 12 days with a 37-page script. They kept talking about how great it was to come into work and have no idea how the scene was going to go because so much was improvised. IMPROVISED???!!! Most of the scenes seemed horribly forced - like they were scripted right down to the pregnant pauses. I think the movie they THINK they made and the movie I saw were 2 very different things.

I could go on and on about how the casting was misguided or about how 20 minutes worth of jibberish should have been left on the cutting room floor. But I won't.

Put it this way, Mike Tyson had a one minute cameo that stole the show. Enough said.

Avoid this movie at all costs. Unless you are interested in seeing Neve Campbell get it on with a showerhead. Then you'll be one satisfied customer.

1 comment:

kyle said...

hot skinny mousy chicks and self-love in the shower? is all this talk of the nature of art and exploration of sub-text merely a pretext for fantasizing about women? i'm content to nod and move on....
off to see 'automne' and 'les revenants', my first two films of the festival. see you in line.