Friday, September 17, 2004

L'Equipier

Definitely the most (really, the only) disappointing film of the festival for me. I'd loved the look of this one in the guide, about a lighthouse keeper who arrives in Brittany, France to take on their sea-bound lighthouse after the death of a the local lighthouse guy (pardon my techinical jargon there). He has a lot of trouble integrating into the insular, ancient culture of the Bretons, though slowly makes friends, and then falls in love with some unfortunate consequences.

OK, maybe the whole "unfortunate consequences" should have twigged me, 'cause this was basically an overly romantic exercise in sentimentalism. Not my thing at all. Mind you, it was beautifully shot, and had the benefit of revealing the Breton culture (which it didn't do all that well), but I stopped caring halfway through - the characters felt one-dimensional, the story was too simple and the resolution frustratingly sentimental. Bah!

No comments: