Friday, September 10, 2004

Human Touch

Stu - right on. The film made me think about the importance of physical contact, and about personal sensuality as the ultimate form of communication and, in a way, conflict resolution. Very interesting to get all that from what is, on the surface, a simple-ish relationship movie. It was all about the sub-text in this one. In that light, I also loved the abstract art context (one of the minor characters who appeared regularly, almost as a "chorus" function, was an aging artists working on large-scale sensual works) that was intertwined with the emotional thread of the plot.

One of the aspects of the film I struggled with was the secondary theme of time/nature continuum - the whole "caves" motif - as an overriding concern, and arguably, as Cox himself dicussed in the Q&A, the only resonant component in existence. Humans are fleeting beings who walk the earth for a short period, whose existence will be better served with an understanding of their irrelevance, and who should respect and live within this context. Very interesting thoughts, and well put forward in isolation, but not, I didn't think, tied well into (almost at odds with, in fact) the central theme of human sensual existence.

I echo your thoughts about the acting - marvy. And that skinny chick in the lead role was pretty special in a plain, mousy way. I also thought the two male leads were great.

Human Touch made me think a lot, and about things outside my comfort zone. Well done.

No comments: