Thursday, September 16, 2004

Glad to read that most of you are having a much better filmfest experience than I am. Who am I kidding it actually pisses me off. I'm zero for nine at this point after tonight's pointless "Automne". Who writes this stilted stuff?

Nothing as ridiculously bad as last year's "The Tesseract", Oliveira's howler "A Talking Picture" or the so funny it was almost scary "The Grudge" but I went through last year's book and there were nine films that I saw that were better than anything I've seen this year. Three more to go tomorrow and thank goodness I'm done. If any one of them moves me in any way, shape or form I'll gladly share my exuberance with one and all.

At least I can look forward to "Motorcycle Diaries" and the Chinese cop thriller "Internal Affairs" both out on the 24th.

1 comment:

kyle said...

i enjoyed 'Automne'. though it seemed a bit like a film school assignment--'Create a film that captures the atmosphere of French noir'--it was a pretty astonishing first effort from a director who doesn't the language and yet managed to create a film that is quintessentially French. That is, he creates a crime drama where characters spend a lot of time scrutinizing each others' motives and where the plot unfolds at a measured pace. It fails to engage the audience on any emotional level--a couple of scenes where characters mourn the loss of their respective lovers failed to elicit any real sympathy from me, mostly because they had worked so hard at maintaining an aloof exterior.
Overall I found it an interesting for what it was.

This was the first film I saw at the festival and after seeing it and thinking about what to write here, I thought, "I'd recommend this one to Brian more than I would Derek".