Friday, September 17, 2004

9 Songs

I was certainly curious to see whether real sex could work within a relationship story. Done right, surely it could enhance a story ? So, while theoretically it makes perfect sense to me, I was interested to see if sex would take over the film; would you always be waiting for the next sexual interlude rather than watching the characters develop?

The answer, I think, is yes. It overwhelms the other elements, at least in this film. It was all about the sex, which became more graphic as the movie progressed. I initially loved the live music and the energy it added, but even it began to play as a one-note song by the end. The problem for me was that the couple was uninteresting - the female chacater was self-absorbed and a bit of a simpleton, and the male was a non-entity, a made-to-order stud for most of the proceedings. Other than some spectacular footage of the Antarctic, there's no doubt that the sex was the best part.... but what else was there?


No comments: