Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tiff Blog List-Making Exercise

Greetings. While I'm spending time catching up on my movie reviews (three in the hole currently, but that will take less than five minutes if I use the Stuart Watson "Fay Grim" tactic) I thought I'd throw out a discussion topic. And here it is.

Those of us who participate in Kyle's "other" blog like to spend some, arguably way too much, time expressing ourselves and our oh-so-passionate views on art in the form of lists. Like, you know, I believe the fourth greatest punk band of all time is The Damned. You think it's The Gang of Four? Jesus. They are so number six! (yes, we are that High Fidelity-esque).

So, admittedly over a coupla beers, Derek, Kyle and I (OK, I exclusively) decided we should engage in a simple, yet gratifying, film-based list-making undertaking. My question to each of you who have read this far (and from what I can gather the only newcomer may be Daniel) is this "what are the greatest ever films adapted from novels?" And the follow up question (should you choose...) is the not-entirely-unexpected "why?"

I will start with one - Howard Hawks "To Have and Have Not". Why? Based on one of Hemingway's worst books, and very very loosely adapted by the underheralded William Faulkner to echo the spirit and basic plot of Casablanca, it's nearly as good, with fantastic chemistry between Humph....OK I'll, stop there, since this was only meant to be an example (To Have and Have Not is grossly over rated and wouldn't make my list.)

Enjoy your movies!