Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Fiction

I chose to see Fiction because I had thoroughly enjoyed Spanish director Cesc Gay's previous feature "In the City" in 2003. In the City was a very stylish telling of multiple relationships in Madrid, unremarkable on paper but well executed and hence memorable, and I believe I will ultimately feel similarly about this year's film.

I won't bother with much in the way of plot descriptions, other than to say that principally this film is about falling in love unexpectedly (between a 40-something film director and a violinist) , and later in life, and of understanding the conflict between passion and intellect, and action and consequences. It's very evocatively filmed in the Pyrenees, and stylistically has a mature grasp on the filmic power of silences and spaces, particularly in the portrayal of the unspoken thought, and the internal struggles of characters we relate to and understand.

No comments: