Tuesday, August 28, 2007

2007 Film Festival/Festiblog Underway

The programme books are here! The programme books are here!

After a relatively rapidfire 45-minute skimming of its contents, some initial thoughts and questions:

-The cover is pretty boring (expect similarly breathtaking analyses here in days to come).

-Best film title has to be "Young People Fucking", with an honourable mention going to "Run Fat Boy Run". Still don't think that either holds a torch to the Best Film Fest title of all time: "Virgin Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors"

-Most contradictory or just pretentious film title goes to "A Jihad for Love" and "My Brother is an Only Child"

-Most incongruous French/English title translation: Ne Touchez Pas La Hache/The Dutchess of Langeais. Runner-up: Dans La Vie/Two Ladies

-Looks like it's Ellen Page vs. Evan Rachel Wood for the coveted Parker Posey Award, awarded each year to the young female actress who seemingly appears in every other film at the fest

-Do I see the documentary "Joy Division" or the biopic "Control", based on the Deborah Curtis book "Touching From a Distance", which I enjoyed reading a few years back? Or should I just re-rent "24 Hour Party People" and skip to the part where the drummer sits on the roof of his apartment and bangs out the opening to 'She's Lost Control'?

-How is it possible that Renee Harlin is still allowed to make films? I realize I ask this question almost every year (sometimes substituting the name "Abel Ferrara") but man....

Overall, the quality of films seem really strong. It's going to be difficult to narrowing down my choices to 10.

Hoping to get a solid hour or two with the book tonight. Think I've already identified a handful that look interesting including "M", "The Man from London", "My Kid Could Paint That", "Nightwatching", and "Deficit". If there are any flaws in these choices, I invite you to unleash your sardonnic wrath upon me.

Similarly, please do share/post your long lists as I won't be able to attend the usual Thursday evening last minute picking party, due to an unforeseen change to my schedule. Happy reading!

1 comment:

sarah said...

I have to disagree....this years Parker Posey is Joan Chen. She is in a whole whack of films this year.

-S