Sunday, September 07, 2008

The Paranoids

A very pleasant surprise by this very accomplished debut from filmmaker Gabriel Medina.

The film chronicles the life of quirky, fearful, perfectionist Luciano Gauna, a children's performer who can't seem to finish a screenplay he's been writing for years. A childhood friend comes to visit, along with his girlfriend Sofia, who ends up staying with Luciano for a few days and learning about his life. Will he finish the screenplay? Find love? Find a job that doesn't include wearing a furry purple costume?

To be honest the plot itself isn't all that remarkable but the performances, the visual style, and a pretty great soundtrack--used to great effect in the climactic dance scene described in the programme book--really bring the film alive.

Highly Recommend.

3 comments:

Jennifer Barnes said...

I caught the friday TIFF screening, and for such a simple little film, was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it!

Daniel Hendler's performance is really terrific but the soundtrack, in particular, really stuck a chord with me. (sorry for the bad pun.) As I left the theatre I couldn't get that Farmacia track used in the final scene out of my head...

kyle said...

Yeah, I was looking for that Farmacia track from that dance scene too. If I find it, I will link to it here.

Anonymous said...

I think this is it: "Nada de Nada":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOqUPly_hOQ